Shout it from the mountaintops! I lost 10 pounds! Of course I have a LONG way to go...

www.my-calorie-counter.com     The webs free Fat Counter

Thursday, August 28, 2008

a not exactly productive day...

This week we invested in a library card from the downtown library in the city where Ian works. It costs money for us because it's in another state, but it's soooo much bigger- i.e., it has so many more resources! I searched for a few books to complement our history outline and found a ton. Ian brought several that I asked for as well as a child's film on the artist Edgar Degas. I'm so pleased to be able to use this resource.
However... I have a confession. I CAN'T SEEM TO CLOSE A BOOK AFTER I'VE OPENED IT! This morning I let them watch the Degas film twice (and a kids' music video once) so that I could finish a book on Alexander the Great (from the picture online I assumed it was a child's picture book) before school. I started it Tuesday and couldn't finish Wednesday because of an errand. Last night, I stayed up late talking to Ian about important stuff (I felt guilty trying to read because it was important), so this morning under the 'pretense' of starting laundry, I got up at four and read. I finished the book by 11:30 and was able to cook lunch and finish most of our lesson plans today. But I didn't do anything else- except those three early morning loads of laundry. By 3:00, I was a zombie!
I used to do this as a child too. I'd sneak away and avoid all contact with people while I was absorbed in a book. It's slightly amusing and very frustrating. I MUST learn to limit my reading time so that I can be a responsible member of my family. AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Why can't we all just be happy to go hungry while momma reads a story?

Am I the only person who has this problem? I'm so convicted right now I'm just going to say it was a lack of self-control. Since I can't govern myself, I'll have to swear off anything but the kids' school books and the Bible for a month. I know that's not the answer, but what is?

1 comment:

Becky said...

I Have that problem too. I just haven't read anything for awhile. When I was younger my mom would ground me from reading so I would get some chores done...but she understood, because she is the same way.